Environmental programme 2020
Part of the Group’s development strategy and investment programme, Environmental Programme 2020 is aimed at minimising environmental impact and achieving the industry’s best-in-class environmental performance.
The aim of Environmental Programme 2020 is to:
- Achieve compliance with all environmental regulations for all NLMK Group companies.
- Reduce specific emissions by NLMK Group’s Russian operations from 22.6 to the steelmaking industry’s best available technology levels.
- Achieve zero waste water at all production sites.
- Increase recycling rate from 5 to 25%.
- Completely recycle accumulated waste including the slag heap in Lipetsk resulting from more than 80 years of operation and the 40-year-old sludge reservoir at NSMMZ in Revda.
Key projects within Environmental Programme 2020
NLMK Group’s total investment in environmental improvements and projects at its sites within Environmental Programme 2020 will exceed 10 billion rubles. The majority of the funds will be invested at the Lipetsk site.
- Reclamation of the industrial waste landfill.
Second stage of the technical upgrade programme: impact
NLMK Group allocated more than 21 billion rubles for environmental projects during the second stage of the technical upgrade programme in 2007–2012, bringing total investment in upgrades and new construction to 258 billion rubles. This includes 7.5 billion rubles invested in environmental technology for NLMK Kaluga, a new generation mill opened in July 2013.
The Group’s Russian operations boosted steel production by 52% over the period to reach 14.2 million tonnes, while air emissions decreased by 40% (from 37.5 to 22.6 kg per tonne of steel) and discharges into water were reduced to one fifty-fourth of earlier levels (from 1.08 to 0.02 kg per tonne). The Lipetsk site, which accounts for 80% of the Group’s output, achieved zero waste water in mid-2009.