- Sustainable development
- Industrial environmental monitoring
Industrial environmental monitoring
The aim of industrial environmental monitoring
Industrial environmental monitoring, or IEM, is carried out to ensure the implementation of measures for environmental protection, rational use of natural resources, and prevention of negative impact of business on the environment, as well as to comply with the environmental protection requirements established in Russia.
- Ensure compliance of NLMK's operations with the requirements of the Russian environmental legislation;
- Monitor the implementation of environmental protection measures;
- Monitor compliance with the requirements of state supervision authorities;
- Monitor compliance with the operating conditions and technical state of environmental protection equipment;
- Control over the maintenance of environmental protection documents;
- Control over the handling of production and consumption waste.
Every year, experts of the NLMK Industrial Environment Department carry out comprehensive audits in the plant's subdivisions to verify their compliance with the requirements of environmental protection regulatory documents for all types of impacts. In addition, daily inspection control is carried out in the structural divisions of NLMK to check the efficiency of environmental protection activities.
Following the comprehensive audits and inspections, the company's subdivisions are developing and implementing corrective measures.
In 2016, the Lipetsk site set up an Internal Environmental Improvement System (IEIS).
This is the only project implemented by steel producers in Russia to get assistance from the Group’s employees to identify and prevent potential environmental incidents on a continual basis.
Monitoring parameters are determined at each facility and its surrounding territory, and then monitored by employees. Once identified, potentially harmful situations are inputted into a computer system. A responsible employee is assigned and a timeframe is set for eliminating the potential threat. The system encourages not only to promptly eliminate threats, but also to prevent negative environmental impacts, helps to improve the management of environmental aspects, and ensures environmental safety.
In 2017–2018, the IEIS was rolled out at all production sites of NLMK Group. Every year the Group gives out awards to the best units and employees for the best annual IEIS results.
The Group employs environmental production monitoring procedures with support from accredited laboratories.
This is part of the environmental production control and includes the monitoring of:
- Industrial emissions of harmful substances from stationary sources;
- Surface layer of atmospheric air at the border of the company’s sanitary protection zone;
- Quality of surface, natural drinking water, and waste water;
Quality control of industrial emissions is carried out for 26 substances at the border of the sanitary protection zone. The quality control of natural water (surface water, drinking water) is carried out for 29 parameters, and wastewater for 21 parameters.
The frequency of monitoring is defined in the Air Monitoring Schedule that covers the border of the NLMK sanitary protection zone and the surrounding areas. The schedule was developed by NLMK and approved by Rospotrebnadzor (Russian Federal Service for Surveillance on Consumer Rights Protection and Human Wellbeing).
Currently, a project is underway to install online monitoring devices at eight points on the border of the NLMK sanitary protection zone and another four points in the city. It is planned to install automatic systems for continuous measurement.